Friday, August 16, 2013

Awww Shucks!

Yum


This past summer our family really got into the game of cornhole, yes even the teenagers in the house participated WILLINGLY!  Now this was a new game for this Florida girl.  While living in the Midwest for the past 20 years, I have done my best to observe this game of tossing bean bags into a distant hole.  I am sure that this must be too simplistic of an explanation of the game.?.  But, why is it called cornhole when you use bean bags?  I often wonder these types of things.  My investigative side took over.  I needed to know why!

According to Wikipedia, the source of all things factual :), long ago Native Americans of the Midwest, specifically the Blackhawk tribe in Illinois, filled pigs' bladders with dried beans and then tossed them for fun.  Hmm.  That actually sounds kind of yucky, but I guess you have to do with what you got.  Sounds like a bean bag to me.  So where did the name come from? I guess at some point later, farming families began using corn, from their fields, to toss.  Again, use what you got.  Enough of the history lesson...

Now my inquisitive side had been satisfied and I could actually play the game.  We just toss the bean bags into the hole, well we try anyway.  Did you know that there are all kinds of terms from cornfusion to drano to screaming eagle to dirty bag.  As fascinating as delving into that would be, probably a conversation for another time!  We just play the game!

I can find corn fields to the north, south and west within 10 miles of my home.  While I am not using corn for our cornhole game, I do love to use corn in recipes.  Here are a couple for you to try.


A baguette, goat cheese, cream cheese, grilled corn, tomatoes, garlic and basil...what's not to love?  Check out the recipe details at www.howsweeteats.com
The picture really tells it all!


Aimee, over at www.simplebites.net even shows a trick for cutting corn off the cob.  She uses a bundt pan, balances the ear of corn on that center part and then cuts.  All the corn falls into the pan.  Haven't tried that yet but may try because when I cut corn off the cob, it goes all over!  The grilled corn summer salad is a great way to have all those summer flavors in one delectable spot!  You could even change out the veggies based on what you have on hand.  Basically combine some grilled corn that has been cut off the cob, zucchini, red or green pepper (or both), a red onion, basil leaves, salt, olive oil and lime.  I also add a tsp of cumin and a little bit of chili powder to give it that smoky flavor, that's up to you.

Or you can just eat corn straight off the grill!  You would need to shuck it of course!  We soak our ears of corn in a pot for several hours before we grill it.  Then just slap those babies on the grill.  So fresh and good.  We slather on butter and salt, but I found some great alternatives to mix up your corn chomping taste buds.

What great ideas from foodnfeminity.blogspot.com
I can't wait to try some of those topping ideas!

Awww shucks!  Whether you play games with your corn or eat it...enjoy the little things that make life sweet!

Christine

2 comments:

  1. Can never get enough corn! Yum my favorite. Who moves from Sunny South Florida to the Midwest? Oh yeah, we did too! But only 2 years in. Happy to read that another Florida native survived 20!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! Those winter winds still make me shiver!!!

    ReplyDelete