Sunday, February 15, 2015

Voodoo Shrimp and Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Yum
Welcome back!
I hope you all had an awesome Valentine's Day with your sweetie!  Did you know I live in the Arctic?  Well not really, but sure feels like it.  Only 10 degrees out there!  Yep, one of the coldest Valentine's Days ever.  Lucky me.  Just love being a part of all these winter records being broken.  :(  But, other than being bitterly cold, our Valentine's Day was perfect! The brutal cold gave me a chance to hang out with those I love, which is what Valentine's Day is all about!

Anywhoooo, a few years ago we were able to stop in New Orleans.  It was a beautiful, hot day!  I can almost feel the warmth on my skin (or maybe that is the Snuggie I am wrapped up in right now).    Dressed in tank tops and shorts, we explored The Big Easy for a quick visit before heading back north.
I soooo wish we had been able to visit longer.  We were able to catch some of the popular sites, grab lunch and have some beignets, but as a foodie...I think I would need a week or more to sample my way through all the types of food New Orleans has to offer. So, with Mardi Gras a few days away, I thought I would share with you a New Orleans' inspired meal!


Voodoo Shrimp with Garlic Mashed Potatoes
is one delicious meal!
F'sho there are some Canjun flavors going on!



Dawlin', The Big Easy has arrived in your kitchen!

Ingredients:
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 lbs raw shrimp (shelled and deveined)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup beer
2 tsp Worcestershire
squeeze of fresh lemon juice
garlic mashed potatoes (follow a box of mashed potatoes directions, add butter, salt and minced garlic to taste)
Directions:
Mix together paprika, salt, garlic powder, pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano and thyme.  In a large bowl, place shelled and deveined shrimp.  Toss spice mixture into the shrimp to coat.  In a large saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add minced garlic and onion.  Heat for 3-4 minutes.  Add spiced shrimp and cook until pink.  Add the beer, Worcestershire and lemon juice to the shrimp.  Cook down for 5-7 minutes.  Meanwhile make your garlic mashed potatoes.  Plate the garlic mashed potatoes and top with voodoo shrimp.





The shrimp has a fantastic flavor with a little bit of a kick.  Combined with the garlic mashed potatoes and you got yourself a delicious NOLA inspired meal!


Be sure to sign up for A Sprinkle of This and That email subscription to receive recipe ideas in your inbox each day!  Pssst...it's over on the right.  You don't want to miss a thing!  
Make sure to share on your social media...I love making new friends!  
Any friend of yours is a friend of mine!  You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Instagram.  All the links are over on the right too!  Let's be social together!!!



Let's get some Mardi Gras Mayhem going!

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet,

Christine




Featured on:





You may also like:

Shrimp Etouffe

Pralines

Heart Beignets




No comments:

Post a Comment