Saturday, July 26, 2014

Creamy Gazpacho

Yum


Soups are just great for lunch or dinner.  In winter, soups are that warm, comfort food on a cold winter's day.  In the summer, soups don't have to be hot.  There are lots of cold soups out there that are refreshing on a hot, summer day.  Well, we haven't had that many hot days thus far, but I was in the mood for a cool refreshing meal.  So what am I thinking?

Creamy Gazpacho loaded with fresh veggies.
Gazpacho originated in Spain.  It has a tomato base and is served cold with lots of vegetables.  Traditionally, it is not creamy, but I wanted to put my own spin on the recipe.  I like my hot tomato soup more creamy anyway, so I thought I would make my gazpacho the same way.  Why not, right?
In either case, gazpacho is refreshing and cool on a hot summer day.




I love the creamier version of gazpacho.  All the same great flavors and chock full of vegetables, but with a smoother, luscious tomato base.  And what did I serve with the Creamy Gazpacho?  The absolute best accompaniment!  Vintage Italia Pasta Chips are perfect!  They come in a variety of flavors and provide a wonderful crunch.  I used the Spicy Tomato Herb variety and thoroughly enjoyed dunking them into the soup.  Vintage Italia Pasta Chips are made from pasta dough that is oven baked.  If you haven't had these yet, you are missing out.  They are good with soups, dips and snacking...late night snacking or so I have heard.... :)  They are a great addition to
creamy gapacho.  Let's get to the recipe.

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups tomato juice
2 large tomatoes, chopped and seeded
1 English cucumber, chopped into small pieces
1 red pepper, chopped into small pieces
1 red onion, chopped
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 green onion, minced
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste

Combine 1 cup tomato juice, half of the tomatoes, half of the cucumber and half of the red pepper in a blender.  
Blend until smooth.
Pour into a large bowl.
Stir in remaining tomatoes, cucumber and red pepper.  Add the onion, lemon juice and garlic.
Remove 1 cup of the new mixture and place that back into the blender.  Add 2 1/2 cups of tomoato juice and blend until smooth.
Pour back into the bowl and stir to combine.
(**Note:  you can add more tomato juice to get the consistency you prefer)
Season with salt and pepper.  Cover and chill 2 hours.
Serve cold.




I did use a spoon.  Ok, I have to admit it...
I used those yummy Spicy Tomato Herb Pasta Chips to scoop out almost all the soup.

A perfect summer meal!
Doesn't heat up the kitchen, is easy to make and is filled with vegetables of the season.
Love it!

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet,
Christine 

No comments:

Post a Comment