Thursday, June 12, 2014

Strawberries with Chamomile Cream

Yum
I recently attended a lecture at our gardening center all about strawberries.


I used to have strawberries in my garden, but they kind of peetered out over the last couple of years.  So I decided to start a new patch and picked up some strawberry plants.  There are many reasons I like to have strawberries in the garden.  They are pesticide free, they taste really good and they spread naturally.  Start with just a few strawberry plants and within a couple of years, you will have quite a strawberry patch!  But, the best reason I like to have my own strawberry patch is because I can sneak out there early in the morning, while I still have my pjs on, and plop fresh ones right into my cereal.  Not that I have, but I could if I wanted too.  :)

One of my favorite varieties is the Alpine Strawberry, small but super sweet!  But, any variety will do.  The flavor from a homegrown strawberry cannot be beat.  But a really fun way to serve strawberries is with chamomile cream.


YUM!

Ingredients:
1 cup chilled heavy cream, divided into two halves
2 chamomile tea bags
1 Tbsp sugar
2 cups fresh strawberries

Heat 1/2 cup heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium high heat until bubbles form around edges of the pot.  Remove from heat.  Add chamomile tea bags and let steep for 20 minutes.  Transfer to a medium bowl, cover and chill until cold. (about 2 hours)

Remove tea bags and add remaining 1/2 cup cream and 1 Tbsp sugar.  Using an electric mixer, beat chamomile cream until soft peaks form.

Serve with strawberries.


The chamomile flavor is such a wonderful addition to the cream and really goes well with the strawberries.  Totally something different than regular ol' whipped cream.

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet,