Here are a couple of last minute ideas to throw together if you want a fun snack at home or need something to bring to a party. One is for the human race and the other is for Santa's team...the reindeer, of course!
Ok, this is so good it is worth two pictures. One in the serving bowl and one up close so you can see the details of what's in reindeer crunch. This recipe originated from Christmas Southern Living 2011 and here's what you do.
12 cups plain popped popcorn
1 1/2 cups salted mixed nuts
1/2 cup butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 ounces chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees.
2. Combine popcorn and nuts in large bowl.
3. Melt butter in medium heavy saucepan. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring now and then. Stir in vanilla. (watch to make sure it doesn't boil over)
4. Working quickly, pour sugar mixture over popcorn and nuts. Stir with a wooden spoon until coated.
5. Spread mixture in a single layer on two lightly greased two baking pans. Bake at 250 for 30 minutes, stirring once.
6. Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes and break into chunks.
7. Melt chocolate in the microwave (melt on 50% power for 30 second increments, stirring after each 30 seconds until melted). Drizzle melted chocolate over popcorn.
8. Cool until chocolate hardens and break into chunks.
The sweet and salty combo is delicious! Caramel popcorn, nuts and chocolate!!! Always a great combo! And with a name like reindeer crunch, you know it has to be fun and yummy!
Now what about Santa's team? I know you are worried about that. They may like this too, but I think they would prefer magic oats, yes, really. So what you need to do, on the sly so the believers in your house won't know, is to put some oatmeal (not the instant kind) into some clear cellphane baggies and then top with this printable.
On Christmas Eve, read this to your little ones and then have them sprinkle some of the "magic reindeer food" onto your front lawn, whether there is grass or in our case, snow! For sure Santa will find your house! Love it!
Now you can make a quick snack for yourself, neighbors and the reindeer. Maybe even leave some out for Santa, the popcorn reindeer crunch...not the oats! You leave out oats and Santa may go right back up your chimney, leaving nothing behind...DON'T RISK IT!
Celebrate the little things that make life sweet!