Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas in Williamsburg

Yum
Have you ever experienced what Christmas must have been like in the 1700s?  You can have that experience at Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia.  Williamsburg was a settlement founded in 1632 and served as the capital of the Colony of Virgina from the late 1600s to the late 1700s.  Today it is a wonderfully restored village of what life was like during that time.  Costumed interpreters tell stories throughout the village to really give you a sense of the past and of America's early beginnings.  If you haven't had a chance to visit, this place should be on your bucket list.  As a child, I have visited several times.  As an adult, my husband and I have taken our children there as an extension to a Washington DC trip.  But my absolute favorite time of year there was during Christmas!  Coming from Florida, experiencing the cold of the north, seeing snow and an old fashioned Christmas was just magical!  And today, I still enjoy seeing images of Colonial Williamsburg during Christmas!  I think I need to go back!


In sticking to the time period, the Christmas decorations are simple, yet classic.  They are made with all natural ingredients from fruit to greenery, but the impact?  I love it!


sweetteaandlemon.wordpress.com provided this wonderful image of greenery wedged into the corner of window frames.

Williamsburg inspired Christmas Centerpiece

betweennapsontheporch.net used the same concept of all natural ingredients for a Williamsburg inspired tablescape.


They used this type of contraption to anchor the apples, topped with a pineapple (the symbol of welcome) and then inserted some greenery and berries.  You can make one of these contraptions or buy one from an arts and crafts store.

I get inspired by all the natural decorations that the colonists used to decorate their homes during the Christmas season.  Hopefully it inspired you too.  If anything, hopefully it reminds you to look back towards a simpler time when we used what we had and that was enough.  Time with family was of upmost importance...well partly because they needed each other for warmth and the completion of chores, you knew I had to sneak in some humor...
I too get wrapped up in the "busy"ness of life and need to get off that roller coaster...try it, I promise you will be glad you jumped off for a little while.  A great time to start would me now!  Maybe a philosophy for the new year?!  Sounds perfect for me!


Celebrate the little things that make life sweet, not only during the holiday season, but throughout the year!

Merry Christmas Eve!

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment