Wednesday, August 21, 2013

What's for dinner?

Yum
Something about those 3 little words used to really annoy me.  Working and running around all day and then the innocent "what's for dinner" question.  So to solve that problem, I began creating a weekly menu that was posted on the refrigerator.  Problem solved!  When the question was asked, I didn't even need to give a verbal response...just pointed to where to find the answer.  Now everyone is happy and I created independent thinkers, knowing how to find the solution to their question.  Well, yes and no.  Now I need to actually plan out the weekly menu, but it helps out tremendously with budgeting for grocery shopping, planning out meals based on after school activities and really using leftovers as a meal.  Yep, swore I would never have a leftover meal when I "grew up."  Now they are my favorite kind of meal!

Here's what's posted on the weekly menu...a salad.  Not just a salad, but an Oriental Chicken Salad.  My family prefers to have salad as a side dish, but when I incorporate some meat, everyone is usually pretty happy.  Me, I LOVE SALADS and could eat one everyday for my main meal.  So as a compromise, I try to do a main dish salad just once a week.


This is so good!  You can find the recipe over at http://mommyimhungry.blogspot.com or click the above link.  Here's how it goes.



Mix the following ingredients together to make the dressing first:  3 Tbsp. honey, 1 1/2 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar, 1/4 c. Mayonnaise, 1 tsp. Dijon mustard, 1/8 tsp. Sesame oil

For the salad ingredients you will need the following: 
A few pieces of crispy chicken strips per person (frozen or from the deli)
bagged salad of mixed lettuces & veggies(I like to get ones with spinach for extra vitamins)
bagged broccoli slaw
1 Tbsp. sliced, toasted almonds
1/4 c. fried won ton strips
1/4 cup mandarin slices that you have drained 

Just mix the salad and broccoli slaw together.  If you have lettuce from your garden, even better!
Then add the chicken, toasted almonds, fried won ton strips and drained mandarin slices.  
Drizzle on the salad dressing and you have quite a meal.

The dressing on this salad is really what makes it!  Between the salad textures and sweet dressing, AWESOMENESS on a plate!  Chopsticks would add a nice touch too!  There is even enough for lunch the next day.

Take the time to plan out a weekly menu; prevents that pesky "what's for dinner" question and leaves you more time to celebrate the little things that make life sweet,

Until next time,

Christine 

No comments:

Post a Comment