Sunday, August 18, 2013

College Daze

Yum
I hope you all have heard of The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn.  I LOVE this book!  The main character, Chester the Raccoon, is about to attend school for the first time.  He is feeling very apprehensive.  So Chester's mom lets him in on a little secret called the kissing hand.  Momma Raccoon places a kiss inside the palm of Chester's hand and closes his hand tight.  "Chester felt his mother's kiss rush from his hand, up his arm, and into his heart."  When Chester has those feelings of insecurity, he can place his hand by his cheek and feel his mother's love is close by.  Is that just not the sweetest sentiment?  I read this story with my own girls as they went off to preschool and then kindergarten.  Even as a preschool teacher, this was a first day activity must!  

But, now my oldest is leaving for college.  Is she too old for this book?  Probably, although the sentiment is still the same no matter how old your children.  I should probably reverse the role and have her leave a kiss in my hand!  As she gets ready to leave in a few short days, I wanted her to have some items to take with her that would be inspirational when she needs a little boost.

At her graduation, we gave the book by Dr. Seuss, Oh The Places You Go.


All about starting off in the world, Oh the Places You'll Go talks all about this new adventure in an honest, yet uplifting way.  I had all the graduation party guests sign the book with a little message that she can read and reread while she is away.

As she begins her new adventure, I wanted a piece of inspirational art in her dorm room.  I came across a free printable at www.thegirlcreative.com
Just go to her site and download the pdf.  Print it off and put it in a frame.  I found a really cute, glittery frame at the arts and crafts store.  You would need to find an 8 1/2 x 11 one that suits your tastes.  This "saying" says exactly what I want her to think as she starts the day...it's like a little piece of me, my voice, is there with her.  There are so many great messages out there, I will probably find another one or two or three to send throughout the year.

While our dining room is piled high with dorm room supplies and we are running around getting all those last minute items, it sometimes feels like we are in a daze, a college bound daze!  But everything is coming together and I can't wait to show you how the dorm room turns out!

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet!

Christine

1 comment:

  1. Never too old for books from our childhood. Absolutely love your idea for party guests to write notes inside a favorite book.

    ReplyDelete