Monday, October 7, 2013

Homemade BBQ sauce

Yum
About a week ago, our local meteorologists proclaimed that we may have had our last warmest day of the year!
Yikes!  We have had 80s in September and even a couple of 80s in October, which is very unusual for the Chicagoland area...but I'll take each and every last offering from the warmth gods!  Feeling pretty good about our fall thus far, on a whim I decided to take a gander at the winter forecast as predicted by the Farmer's Almanac.
And this is the title I see

"The 'Days of Shivery' are Back!"

I guess I shouldn't have looked!!!  The almanac predicts that my area will have a biting, cold and snowy 2013-2014 winter!
I hope they are REALLY, REALLY WRONG!  Don't you?

I also decided to consult the Sunday comics...maybe they had a more optimistic view?  After all, they are the funnies, right?


Wrong again!

So with thoughts of snowflakes in my head, I decided to melt those snowflakes away by thinking about bbqs.  After all, WE are winter grillers!  To help my Florida soul and blood, my husband will grill no matter what...well, maybe not during a blizzard?

I thought I would share my own recipe for BBQ sauce.  Naturally, you could go and buy a bottle in the store, but once you have made your own...you'll never go back.

A Sprinkle of This and That Finger Lickin' BBQ Sauce
The sauce is the boss, right?  This BBQ sauce is good on burgers, chicken, ribs, pork chops or whenever you need it for a recipe.

A Sprinkle of This and That Finger Lickin' BBQ Sauce

Here's how you make it:
1 cup of ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
2 Tbsp dry mustard
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp vegetable oil

Mix all the ingredients together and simmer on the stove for about 8 minutes.  Use right away or keep in refrigerator for a couple of weeks.

That's it!  If you realize you are out of bbq sauce, want to grill something special or you are in the middle of winter...this sauce will become your absolute favorite bbq sauce.  You won't want to go back and you may even want to bottle some for friends and family!  Yep, it's that good!  The holidays are right around the corner you know!  A new worry?

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet!

Christine


Linking up with Design Dining and Diapers and The 36th Avenue.

No comments:

Post a Comment