Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Bye- Bye Baguettes

Yum
 
Bye-bye baguettes!??  This morning I just heard about this and found several American bloggers living in France buzzing about this as well.  Could this be the end of the baguette?  The horrors!!!
 
Now I don't know about you, but to me baguettes are to France as apple pie is to America.  Am I right?  Years ago when we traveled to Paris with our children, stopping at a boulangerie was as important as seeing all the famous sites Paris has to offer.  It is part of the culture.  And when in Paris, be like the Parisians.  That was exactly what we did! 
 
 
Oh my gosh!  Look at my babies!!!  Now one is heading off to college and the other is in her second year of high school.  What happened?  I could cry right now, but that would distract me from the all important baguette!  But, I did prove my point.  Here we are getting a baguette in Paris and it looks like some pastries too...but, let's focus on the baguette and it's yummy goodness!
 
Apparently, Parisians are eating less bread.  Is it the carbs they are worried about like us Americans?  On average, Parisians are eating only half a baguette a day compared to a loaf (sorry, a loaf sounds tacky), a whole baguette .  Which is still down compared to what they ate in the early 1900s, two baguettes per day.  (Wow, I sound so knowledgeable!)  Who knew and yet they stay so slim.  The bakers' and miller's lobby groups are so concerned that they have started a campaign in support of the baguette.  They are promoting the baguette as good for your health, conversation and French civilization.  We Americans have "Got Milk?"  The Parisians have "Hi, there, have you picked up the bread?"  Really, they do!
 
I love bread wherever it comes from.  I could live off bread!  Well probably not, but I could try!
So it got me thinking...I too want to support the baguette and what better way than through a party.  All the set up below needs is some baguettes, wine and friends for good conversation.
 

 
 
One of my favorite bloggers, Chris Nease over at http://celebrationsathomeblog.com  , infused several different ingredients into olive oils to create an olive oil dipping station.  Ingredients like seasoned salt, basil, garlic powder, rosemary, Italian spices and parmesan cheese.  Whatever strikes your fancy.  My teenage daughters love this!  It is a great way for us to just sit, eat some bread (a love of mine) and chat.  Because to me, that is what life is all about...family time and supporting the save the baguette lobby!  :) 
 
Spend some time celebrating the simple things that make life sweet!
 
au revoir (still sticking with the French theme),
 
Christine


1 comment:

  1. Love me a good baguette! Could also survive on bread alone! Beautiful display of bread and olive oil, much healthier than meat & cheeses!

    ReplyDelete