Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Tomato or Tomahto?

Yum
 
"You say tomato, I say tomahto..."
 
How do you say tomato?
 
Well, I planted four tomato plants in my garden this year and I have harvested a grand total of....drum roll please....twelve tomatoes from four plants!  Yep, that isn't a typo.  So whether you say tomato or tomahto, I didn't get enough"o."  This wannabe farmer was not a happy camper.  I'm not sure why, but I figured I better make the most of what I got.

 
See, they look great.  Just not many of them.  Boo, hoo...

I plan on using some of my dozen to make one of my favorite summer recipes, tomato pie.

 
 
I use the recipe from Simply Recipes.  It is easy and allows you to change up the cheeses to just the flavor you may like.  This recipe also serves up real well the next day.  I mean really good!  The kind of good that when you are eating it in front of your co-workers, they are very jealous!  When my garden has given me lots of tomatoes, I make many pies and freeze them.  Nothing beats breaking out summer flavors in the middle of the winter.  I guess I will have to go to the grocery store and get more tomatoes if I plan on having some pies in the freezer.  Tomato pies are great for vegetarians too! 
 
Here are a couple of more recipes to try with your tomatoes.  Vegetarians and even my meat lovin' hubby loves them.
 
 
 
Tomatoes really do say summer. This dish is not only pretty, but very delicious.  Lots of different textures and flavors are brought out in this salad filled with tomatoes, cucumber, basil, red onion, sea salt, rosemary, garlic and bread.  There isn't an ingredient in there that I don't love.  Check out the full recipe over at http://www.stonegableblog.com
 
Finally, a great appetizer or I would just make it into a meal...Tomato Caprese Salad
 
 
Slice up some beefsteak tomatoes and fresh mozzarella.  Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with some fresh bail and ground pepper.  OK, I know what I am having for dinner tonight!  If I add some bread, I think I can call this a meal?
 
However you say tomato, what are some of your favorite tomato recipes?
 
Celebrate the little things that make life sweet!
 
Until next time,
 
Christine
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment