Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Ropa Vieja

Yum
When the hubby and I traveled to Miami, we had the opportunity to sample some food at 
Goria Estefan's Larios on the Beach.  They served the most AMAAAZING Ropa Vieja.
What is Ropa Vieja?
Literally, Ropa Vieja means old clothes.  The meat is so tender and when shredded it looks like pieces of clothing.  But, don't let the name discourage you.  Ropa Vieja is so flavorful and tender!
For my version, I cooked it in the slow cooker so that come dinner time, it was ready for me.
Just like Larios On the Beach, I provided plantain chips and a garlicky, butter sauce.



I used a pork roast, rather than the traditional beef roast, and found it to be just as delicious.
I loved that it cooked all afternoon for me!  The fun part was taking plantain chips and dipping them into a garlicky, lime butter sauce then topping them with the tenderest, most flavorful meat!  Made me feel like I was back in Miami...I'll have to remember that when it is 5 degrees out and I need a way to transport myself away from the cold.  Tee hee hee!




Look at those tomatoes, green peppers and onions mixed in with the most tender meat!  Yum!  Add some cumin and minced garlic and you've got yourself a meal bursting with flavor.

Ingredients to make Ropa Vieja:
1 15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 2 1/2 lb pork roast
Directions:
Place all ingredients in the slow cooker.  Set temperature on low and cook for 4 1/2 hours.  Remove and shred meat.
Dipping Sauce:
1 stick unsalted butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup lime juice
2 Tbsp minced garlic
salt and pepper
plantain chips
Directions:
Heat olive oil, unsalted butter and garlic in the microwave until melted (approximately 1-2 minutes).  Stir in lime juice, salt and pepper.  Serve warm with cooked Ropa Vieja and plantain chips.



You will love this combo!
Dip a plantain chip into the melted butter mixture and then spoon on some of the Ropa Vieja.
Melts in your mouth!
Dust off that slow cooker and get ready for a Cuban inspired dinner.

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet,
Christine

You may also like:

Cuban Style Empanadas

Guava Pastry Pockets

Grilled Guava Shrimp Skewers

No comments:

Post a Comment