Thursday, November 6, 2014

Caramel Popcorn

Yum
So the other day I decided I needed a pair of boots.  Now you may not think that is a big deal, but until last year, I only owned 1 pair of boots and they were snow boots.  I have lived up here in the Great Wild Winter Tundra and dealt with only 1 pair of boots, which were snow boots, not stylish boots.  Hmmm...don't know why that was?  I guess I still held out hope that we would move further south...I guess I never let the dream die for 20 plus years!  Apparently last year I finally came to the realization that I would be living here and I better make the most of it...hence a pair of stylish boots.  Once again, I was late to the party because stylish boots are the next best thing to sliced bread!  I have been missing out on all the stylish warmth and comfort a pair of cute boots could possess.  This winter, I decided that I would need an additional pair of cute boots because shoes make me happy.  How about you?  Anyhow, you would think I was purchasing a new automobile!  I think I "test drove" (aka tried on) every boot in the store until I found just the right one.  I am now the proud owner of more than just snow boots...I got myself a pair of brown and now black boots.  'Cuz it's all about the choices, right?

Kind of like popcorn....do I want plain popcorn or do I want the option of a caramel popcorn...I am really stretching this segway.  But, really this caramel popcorn is hands down AWESOME!  Bet you didn't know how easy it is to make your own?







This is a perfect way to take plain old popcorn and give it the caramel treatment!
Love that sweet -  salty combo!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup butter
1/4 tsp baking soda
Directions:
Pour vegetable oil into a large, heavy duty pot.  Place 1 unpopped kernel into the oil.  Heat the oil on high.  Once popcorn kernel pops, add the remaining popcorn kernels and return the lid to the top of the pot.  Once popping has stopped, remove from heat and dump popped popcorn into a large shallowd pan.
Over medium high heat, heat butter, brown sugar and corn syrup.  Heat until melted and bubbling.  Add the baking soda.  Stir and remove from heat.  Immediately pour over the popcorn.  Stir to coat.  Place in a 200 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Stir every 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and dump onto wax paper to cool.  Once cool, break apart and store in an airtight container.

Pop yourself some popcorn and dream about all those cute, stylish boots you need!

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet,
Christine


No comments:

Post a Comment