Thursday, August 21, 2014

Burgers with Zucchini Ribbons and Blue Cheese Sauce: The Works

Yum


Have I mentioned that zucchini and lemon balm have overtaken my garden?  I pick the zucchini and the next morning there is more.  I swear, I don't see any zucchini and the next morning there are zucchini...the size of small children!  I am over-run with zucchini, but there are so many good recipes out there...I just keep trying to keep up with the supply that my garden is producing.  So, here's another way to use that yummy yet crazy growing vegetable.  Make some zucchini ribbons and use it like you would lettuce.  That's just what I did!  I put zucchini ribbons on burgers with blue cheese sauce!  The taste...FABULOUS!



Blue Cheese Sauce, zucchini ribbons and grilled onions all on top of a burger?
THE WORKS!  I love it!

Ingredients to make Blue Cheese Sauce:
6 oz blue cheese crumbles
 3 Tbsp sour cream
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 tsp dry mustard

Mix together and set aside.

Ingredients for Grilled Onions:
1 Vidalia onion, sliced
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Balsamic vinegar

Place butter and olive oil in a pan.  Heat to medium high.  Add onion slices, salt and Balsamic vinegar.  Stir until onions are soft; 8-10 minutes.



Grill your burgers until desired doneness.  Then add tomato, grilled onion, zucchini curls and blue cheese sauce.  Use your vegetable peeler to create the zucchini curls.  The zucchini adds a sweetness to the combo that just cannot be beat!  Who knew you could replace the lettuce with zucchini?  Put it all on an onion bun and you have a burger with THE WORKS!  

Be experimental with your zucchini!  I am sure you've got lots to spare.  :)

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet,

4 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds good! Blue cheese is so awesome. Happy to have found you through the Real Food Round-up link party :) If you get a minute, I'd love it if you stopped by my blog sometime. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Courtney @ A Life From Scratch. Going to hop over right now!

      Delete
  2. Looks so good! Pinned. Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete