Saturday, November 9, 2013

Churro Bites

Yum
One of my favorite things to do is travel into the big city!

We are fortunate enough to live about 40 minutes outside of a big one!  Chicago...my kind of town!
I love to hop on a train or drive down to Chicago, especially during the holidays!

The city is so much fun!  There are so many things to dazzle your senses from the sounds of musicians playing on the street corners, the hustle and bustle of the shoppers, the windows all decorated and the wonderful aromas from the street vendors and beyond to the restaurants.  Even the cold weather won't slow me down from a visit!  Hard to believe, right?

Well, I have always noticed the delicious aroma coming from the street vendor selling churros.  Never had one, but when I came across this recipe...I had to try it!

Churro Bites
I have been missing out!  Man these are good!

So I guess they are sold on street corners all over Spanish speaking countries.  They have a sugar cinnamon crispy outside and a soft textured inside.  Delightful!  They come in all kinds of shapes, depending on the country serving them.  But, I decided to go with bite size ones.  The recipe I found at http://lilluna.com is easy and quick.  You will need an angel food cake, so make your own or purchase one from the bakery at your local grocery store.

Here's what you need:
1 Angel Food cake
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cinnamon
oil

Cut your angel food cake into 1 inch cubes.
Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.  Set aside.
Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a large pot.
Once oil is hot, turn the oil temperature down to medium low heat.
Fry the angel food cubes until they are lightly brown.
Remove each cube and place in the bowl of cinnamon sugar.  Toss to coat completely.
Continue process until all the cubes are done.

They are so good!  I even served 4-5 of them in individual champagne glasses.  I have since learned that it is best to serve them with a mug of hot chocolate...they are awesome for dipping!!!  I so need to try that!

Try out your own churros!
Hope you are beginning to enjoy the sights and sounds that come with all the holidays!

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet!

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment