Monday, September 2, 2013

The Last Fling

Yum
Around here we celebrate the end of summer with one big carnival called The Last Fling.  It is kind of like a last chance to celebrate all things summer over the Labor Day weekend.  Concerts, carnival games and rides, a parade and one last weekend to swim at the ol' watering hole.  Now, I have mixed feelings about this.  Fall is probably my favorite season, but I have a hard time letting go of summer because...eventually winter will be coming.  But, I will save my thoughts on winter for another time.  It is time to celebrate all things summer by having one last "summer fling."


If you read my earlier post on county fairs, you'll know I am not a big, carnival ride fan.   A long story.  I do enjoy hearing others' screams...just not my own.  I have fun losing at the carnival games and sharing funnel cakes.  The atmosphere is just so festive!  So, here's my version of a funnel cake.

Funnel Cake
Pretty fancy, don't you think?  Here's how you make it...
Ingredients:
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
vegetable oil
powdered sugar
other fun toppings (fruit, chocolate sauce, sprinkles...be creative!)

Beat the egg and milk together.  Slowly add all other ingredients to egg mixture.  Beat until smooth.
Heat oil.  There should be about 2-3 inches of vegetable oil in your deep sided pot.  Drop batter through a funnel or a bag in a web pattern into the hot oil.  Cook 2-3 minutes per side until each side is slightly brown.  Remove from oil onto paper towels.  Then sprinkle on the toppings!

Just like a carnival!  I added strawberries and whipped cream to my funnel cake to make it fancy!  It's actually kind of healthy now that I added a fruit component as well as some dairy...at least that is how I rationalize things.  You could put on whatever tickles your fancy!

No matter what time of year it is, now you too can enjoy that carnival atmosphere by making your own funnel cake.  If your family doesn't love you, they sure will after you make some funnel cakes!

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet!

Christine

Linking up with Ginger Snap Crafts

No comments:

Post a Comment