Sunday, August 11, 2013

Trash or Treasure?

Yum
A few posts ago, I mentioned making some items to jazz up a dorm room.  In addition to creating some items, we also scoured the basement for some unused "treasures."  As the old saying goes, one man's trash is another man's treasure.  Very true! 
This old saying really falls into the green movement of upcycling.  There are even websites devoted to this.  One of those websites is http://www.freecycle.org
This site is a great way to look for things you might need for a project as well as offer items others may be in search of.  Ultimately, the goal would be to keep things out of the landfills.  A win, win!
As the summer winds down, I like to have some projects that I could work on over the winter. So while searching for basement treasures that could be used in my daughter's dorm room, I also took note of what I had and what I needed for some projects in the garden that I would like to create for next season.  Here's what I am thinking...

 Lamp Bird Bath

 Shutter Garden Angel

Fan Blade Dragonflies


There are some ultra cool bloggers out there doing amazingly, creative things with items you can find around the house or in someone else's "trash."  I love the bumblebee and ladybug bird feeders.  Lowes had this on their idea site awhile back.  I can't find the link, but I do know they used old paint cans.

Lots of great ideas that hopefully give you some inspiration for your hidden treasures.  Am I too ambitious?  Probably depends on how long the winter will be up in these parts.  I'll show you my finished projects on a blustery day!

Celebrate the little things that keep life sweet because even your trash could have amazing treasure potential!

Until next time,

Christine

 

1 comment: