Thursday, January 21, 2016

Toasted Coconut Popcorn

Yum
While the temperatures decrease, my binge watching increases.  Winter time gives me the chance to catch up on all those series I never make time to watch.  My latest binge has involved Downton Abbey.  I just finished season 1 and have started season 2.  I know, the current season is 6 so I have a long way to go.  But, winter is long in these parts so I am confident I will get ALL the seasons done before summer!  Oh my gosh, now I know what everyone has been talking about.  Will Mary marry Matthew?  Will Mr. Bates and Anna become husband and wife?  Don't tell me!  You are probably way ahead of me...we can talk right before summer starts.  Ha!  ;)  Anyhow, all this show watching requires popcorn.  Not just any popcorn, Toasted Coconut Popcorn!


Pop a bowl of this popcorn before the next movie or award's show you watch and you will love the change from regular ol' butter popcorn.


Making home-made popcorn on the stove is easy.  We never use the bagged popcorn.  Just a big pot with a lid is all you need to pop the most delicious popcorn.  Toasted Coconut Popcorn is similar to kettle corn only there is a coconut spin with bits of toasted coconut sprinkled throughout.


Ingredients:
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp coconut extract
2/3 cup dried coconut flakes
salt to taste
Directions:
Toast 1/3 cup of coconut by placing on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 2 minutes.  Watch carefully to prevent burning.  Remove from oven and set aside.  In a large pot, over medium-high heat, heat oil and 1 kernel of popcorn.  Once the popcorn kernel pops, add sugar, coconut extract and remaining popcorn kernels.  Lift and shake pot every 30 seconds or so to prevent sugar from burning. Return to the heat and repeat until popping has slowed.  Remove from heat and toss into a bowl.
Toss with toasted and remaining coconut.  Sprinkle with salt to taste.


Toasted Coconut Popcorn has that addicting sweet/salty combo!


Pop some popcorn, grab a blanket and turn on your favorite movie or series.  It's a great way to pass away those long winter nights.  Oh, by the way...I am not liking Vera (Mr. Bate's wife) so much.  Does she ruin things with Anna?  I know, I said not to tell me.  How about a hint???

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet,
Christine

Featured On:


No comments:

Post a Comment