Friday, January 2, 2015

Winter Snack Mix

Yum
Happy 2015 to ya!
How was your New Year celebration?  Up all night partying the night away or home in your pjs?
I am super lucky living in the Midwest because I can celebrate the New Year at 11:00 pm at the same time as the East Coast celebrates at midnight...I know, totally cheating...but I love that I can watch the ball drop with the hubby and then head off to dreamland, yep, I am a real party girl!  :)

As I reflect back on the blog, I am so happy with how far A Sprinkle of This and That has come in just over a year.  It's all because of YOU and I have a great time sharing recipes from the kitchen that are simple and take the ordinary to extraordinary!  Thanks for coming along with all my cooking adventures!

I alluded to a direction that I want to take the blog in and even dropped a hint when I closed with my tag line:  "celebrating the 'little' things that make life sweet."  After studying my analytics about what has been popular on the blog from the past year or so and really looking at what I LOVE to cook, I had an epiphany!  You see, I adore little packages because, afterall, the best things come in small packages, right?! So, not all the time but a lot of the time I will be sharing bite sized recipes.  Bite sized recipes are good for your figure, impressive because they are tiny and let's just admit it ... fun and adorable!  They can be sweet or savory, but in either case...bite sized foods are a party in a bite!  So, stay tuned for some new stuff! It really won't change what I already do, seasonal simplicity, there will just be more of those bite sized recipes that work for a party or even at your dinner table.  Let's get started celebrating the little things that make life sweet with a simple Winter Snack Mix filled with healthy, little treats!



Winter Snack Mix
is made up of wheat cereal bites, dried cranberries and lightly roasted almonds coated in dark chocolate and a bit of powdered sugar.  It's a perfect snack mix during the afternoon when you need a little pick me up!  Besides, you put it together so you know it has to be good!

Ingredients:
1 14 oz pkg Wheat Chex cereal
1 cup lightly roasted almonds
1 pkg dried cranberries
1 pkg dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 Tbsp milk
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Directions:
Mix together cereal, almonds and cranberries in a large bowl.  Place dark chocolate chips and unsalted butter in a microwave safe dish.  Melt dark chocolate chips and butter for 1 minute on high.  Stir and then microwave at 30 second intervals on 50% power.  Stir and repeat until chocolate has melted.  Add Tbsp milk to help thin the chocolate once melted.  Pour over the mix until pieces have been coated.  Sprinkle on 1/2 cup powdered sugar and toss until coated.  Spread out on waxed paper and cool.  Store in an airtight container.


The dark chocolate makes everything so good!  Lots of that sweet/salty combo going on with the sweet, dried cranberries and salty, roasted almonds.  YUM!  When you are needing that extra afternoon burst of energy, don't grab a candy bar, have a handful of Winter Snack Mix!

Be sure to sign up for A Sprinkle of This and That email subscription to receive recipe ideas in your inbox each day!  You don't want to miss a thing!  Make sure to share on your social media...I love making new friends!  Any friend of yours is a friend of mine!

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet,
Christine



Featured at Lou Lou Girls
Featured on Scrapality


You may also like:
Hot Chocolate Snack Mix

Parmesan Garlic Snack Mix

Key Lime Puppy Chow

No comments:

Post a Comment