Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Soup

Yum
Living in the Midwest for some 20+ years, ya think I'd be used to the winter by now.  Every year winter seems to come a bit earlier as if Mother Nature is looking at a different calendar.  
And even though I know the Big W (my name for winter...kind of strange I have named it, no?) is on it's way, it still takes me by surprise, especially when it starts rearing it's ugly head in early October.  
Dang, it is chilly!  Out comes the fleece and the knee high socks (don't ask).  BUT, there is a silver lining in these gosh awful wet/cold days...a small sliver of a silver lining.  It means it's also SOUP and HOT DRINK season.  Yay!  So, let's explore that small sliver of silver with one of my favorite soups,
Broccoli and Cheddar Cheese Soup

This soup is so creamy and cheesy with lots of broccoli bits throughout the soup.  YUM!

It's so easy to make and will warm you up!  Take that Big W...so enpowering when I can humanize the season...I know, even wierder...let's look at the recipe.

Ingredients:
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup chopped onion
4 cups chopped broccoli
1 tsp thyme
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar
Directions:
In a large pot, mix together chicken broth, onion, broccoli and thyme.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low.  Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes.  Pour mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.  Back in original pot over med-high heat, melt butter.  Add the flour and salt.  Whisk together until a paste is formed.  Add the milk and whisk continuously until mixture thickens.  Add cheddar cheese until melted.  Pour the broccoli mixture back into the cheese mixture and cook until blended.  Serve.




Each spoonful is full of flavor!  I think this soup will work it's way into your fall/winter rotation of soups!

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet,
Christine
Linking up at my favorite blog hops.

No comments:

Post a Comment