Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Hawaiian Shave Ice

Yum
Shave Ice is perfect for summer.  I remember having a Snoopy sno-cone machine so that I could make sno-cones (aka shave ice) to my heart's content.  Can't remember doing it more than 1 or 2 times, but I could've made as many sno-cones as often as I wanted...could've!  But, a girl gets busy and the sno-cone machine gets cast to the side.  And NOW they are back!!!!  I don't have a Snoopy one..."but it don't matter," I can shave ice!!!  Not only does that mean shave ice with all the regular flavors...it means SUPER shave ice...better yet, Hawaiian style!

Now, I looked into the whole shaved ice vs shave ice name.  You know, shave ice just doesn't sound right.  Shaved Ice sounds right, no?  Apparently, if you are having a Hawaiian sno cone, it is called shave ice, no "d" in shave.  Now that we got that over with, let's move on to the frozen goodness, no matter what you call it:  sno-cone, shave ice or shaved ice.



Hawaiian Shave Ice takes the sno-cone to a whole new level.  When you make Hawaiian flavors, they are creamy and let me be honest, just heavenly.


I made Grapetastic, Pink Flamingo and Watermelon Cherry Bomb flavors.  And the secret to the creaminess...evaporated milk.  That makes the sno-cone morph into Hawaiian Shave Ice.


For each flavor you will need 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 of a packet of unsweetened powder mix (Kool-aid) and 1 oz of evaporated milk.  To make the grapetastic flavor, I used grape flavor.  For the Pink Flamingo, I used pink lemonade powder mix and for the watermelon cherry bomb,
the powder mix of the same name.
You pick your flavors and just add 1/2 of the packet to the sugar, water, evaporated milk mixture.  
Mix the sugar, water and powder mix until sugar dissolves.  Then add the evaporated milk.  Mix until combined and place into refrigerator for 2-3 hours.  Next, shave your ice and pour on the flavors.  Be creative with your pairings.

So now you know the secret to making Hawaiian Shave Ice.
What flavors are you going to make to help you keep cool this summer?

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet,

1 comment:

  1. I remember that Snoopy Sno Cone maker too! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete