Sunday, April 13, 2014

Kettle Corn

Yum
Our local farmer's market doesn't start until June, but I have been dreaming about it...
walking among the tables of produce looking for inspiration for a meal or just eating it raw.
Winter does that to a Florida girl.  You know when you are in a desert and you see a mirage of a beautiful oasis?  Well, that's what happens to me...I see beautiful mirages of lush produce in a farmer's market!!!
Does that happen to you or am I the strange one?  Never mind, don't answer that!

Anyhow, one of the cool things at our farmer's market, besides the produce, is the kettle corn guy!


The aroma is so enticing!  Makes you want to purchase the entire kettle full!  And the samples?  Love it!  So how many times can I pass by and get a free sample without him noticing?  Well, I am craving some of that summertime experience, right this second!!!  But, I don't have to wait, because I have found a recipe for making kettle corn at home that is pretty close to the original.  Perhaps it could be exactly the same if I had a 50 gallon kettle?  Haven't got one of those, so this recipe will satisfy my craving...This recipe originally came from Skip to My Lou.  Here's what you need:

Ingredients:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup un-popped popcorn kernels
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pour vegetable oil into a large, heavy duty pot.  Place 1 kernel in the center.  Cover with a lid.  Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.  Once the kernel pops, add in the rest of the popcorn kernels and the sugar. Replace the lid on the pot. While the popping is taking place, lift the pot and shake it.  Then return to the heat.  Continue alterating on and off the heat until the popping has slowed.  This will prevent the sugar from burning.  Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl, sprinkle with salt.


It's the perfect amount of sweet and salty and tastes just like you got it from the kettle corn guy!


My farmer's market mirage is a reality!!!  Click on over to Kettle Corn printable recipe to print off a copy.

Celebrate the little things that make life kettle corn sweet!

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment