Saturday, April 26, 2014

Garden To Table - Early Garden Finds

Yum
Our gardening center is officially open!
They did have to close early one day for snow...isn't that crazy for April?
But on a rainy day, my local gardening center hosted a garden to table lecture.
Since I am itching to get out into my garden, I attended the lecture to find out more about what I could do in my own.

This first garden to table lecture was all about strawberries, lettuce and chives...well, not necessarily together...ha ha!  But today, I just want to focus on chives.


I love chives!
They are so versatile and the best part is that they come back every year!

They are already popping out in my garden, just like a Spring bulb.  And before I know it, they will be about 2 feet by 2 feet with a gorgeous purple flower!  If you have never, ever grown chives, I really recommend it.  Plant once and you will have years of productivity.


Look at how pretty they are!  If you run your hand over the plant, you will smell just how good they are.  Imagine what that will do to your recipes.  AND, I learned that you can eat the flowers!!!  Who knew?  Snip off the flowers and add them to a stir fry or even a salad.  
Adding that chive flavor in a pretty way.  LOVE IT!

Head over to your gardening center now and get a couple of these plants.  Get them in the ground.  They are a cool weather crop so they will be just fine no matter what Mother Nature brings...please let there be no more snow or I may not be fine!  :)

So what to do with them?
My favorite way to use them is in scrambled eggs!


To make these decadent scrambled eggs, whisk together 5 eggs, 1/2 cup cream and 1/3 cup chopped chives.  Toss a little butter into the fry pan and when that has melted, add the eggs.  Cook until desired consistency.  

or





These biscuits are chock full of bits of chives, bacon and cheese!  Almost a hearty meal in themselves!
Click Cheddar, Bacon and Fresh Chive Biscuits for the printable recipe.

How do you like to use your chives?  I'd love to hear your ideas!!!

Isn't it great when you can take your own home-grown food from the garden and put it in your own home-made recipe that goes right to your table?

Garden to table, another way to celebrate the little things that make life home-grown sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment