Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Floridian Foodie Series - Orange Meringue Pie

Yum
My grandparents were campers.  They had a trailer and would travel the State Parks of Florida.  One of the places they visited annually was Highlands Hammock State Park in Sebring, Florida.

Just North of Lake Okeechobee, in the center part of the state of Florida is this...




Isn't that pretty?  I have such fond memories of hanging with my grandparents in their trailer, playing cards.  Loved the nature trails wherever they were...although as an adult, my mind wanders immediately to the scary...too many movies!!!  Back to idyllic Seabring!  Don't those images just scream what Florida used to be like?  Well, there are still places like that today.  But one of the best parts, I remember, of Sebring, Florida was the Orange Meringue Pie!  Oh my gosh, you have no idea!!!!


The flavors of citrus are just perfect this time of year when there is such a longing for warmer temps.  This Orange Meringue Pie recipe is sweet and has a texture similar to Key Lime Pie, but it has a flavor of it's own that is delicious!  I was so excited when I found the recipe at allrecipes.com.  Here's how you make it...

Ingredients:
1 9 inch unbaked pie crust
3 egg yolks, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp melted butter
1 Tbsp orange zest
1 cup orange juice

For the meringue topping:
3 egg whites
6 Tbsp sugar
1 orange, sliced

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Beat together egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until mixture is thick and lemon-colored. Add flour, melted butter, grated orange rind, and orange juice. Mix thoroughly, then pour into pastry shell.

Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 35 minutes, or until custard is set.

In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks. Spread meringue over pie, covering completely. Return to oven for 10 minutes, until meringue is golden brown. Cool before serving. Garnish with orange slices or orange zest.

Orange Meringue Pie printable recipe


The orange custard filling topped with a light meringue...ah, Florida heaven!


I feel like I am in the Florida sunshine with that pie!

Whether you are still in the thick of winter...or, spring has made an appearance in your neck of the woods...give this pie a try!  It'll put some sunshine on your face!

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet!

1 comment:

  1. I was a little girl and my parents took me to Highlands Hammock State Park and we had the orange pie, ever since I have been looking for the recipe, we had a post card with it on and i'm sure one day I will find it in my moms house! Two years ago I went back to Highlands Hammock and talked to several people who remembered the pie but no one had the recipe. So grateful you posted this recipe Thank you!

    ReplyDelete