Thursday, October 3, 2013

Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Sandwich

Yum
I know what you are thinking because I too was thinking the same thing.  Apple, bacon and cheddar...hmmm...

I like apples.
I like bacon.
I like cheddar cheese.
But together?  Wasn't sure at all.  But just look...

Apple, Bacon and Cheddar Sandwich

Crispy bacon, thin slices of Granny Smith apple, slices of cheddar cheese and some roasted red onion mayo all sandwiched between 2 pieces of sourdough bread.  Oh my cheesy goodness!  Here's how to make it.
For each sandwich you will need the following:
2 slices of sourdough bread
3 slices of crispy, cooked bacon
4 slices of cheddar cheese
2-3 slices of thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
roasted red onion mayo (1 red onion, 2 tsp olive oil, salt, pepper and 1 cup of mayo)

Make the roasted red onion mayo by chopping up a red onion.  Toss the red onion pieces with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.  Roast in the oven for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool.  Transfer the onions to a food processor and finely chop the pieces.  Add the mayo and pulse until smooth.
Get your panini press, or in my case the George Foreman grill, heated up!
To make the sandwich, spread some of the red onion mayo on each slice of bread.  Top with cheddar cheese, bacon, apple slices and then more cheese.  Place the top slice of bread onto the sandwich.  Butter the outside of the bread and transfer to your press or Foreman grill.  Grill until bread looks toasty and lightly browned.  Slice sandwich in half and serve.

Such an awesome combination of flavors!  I never would have dreamed it!  Actually, I didn't.  The recipe originated from Paula Deen...so I knew it had to be good.  :)

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet!

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment