Friday, August 9, 2013

Dorm Room Decor

Yum
 
My oldest is leaving for college in just a few...I don't even want to think about it!
 Anyway, we have list upon list of all the supplies needed for her dorm room.
 
It seems like the days are gone where you just slapped together some bins and an extra long comforter set.  Now, everything needs to match.  Comforter sets match bins, which match pillows, blankets and even hangers, at least for girls...maybe boys don't care? At first I thought, well, I survived just fine with a menagerie of put together items.  I think I even used interesting shopping bags to display on my walls.  Don't ask!  Not sure my thought process on that one.  But then, my creative side took over and I saw LOTS of ideas online.  Once my college bound daughter decided on her color scheme, off we went.  Here are some fun, inexpensive ideas to jazz up a dorm room.
 
 
Ahhh, rolling bins, a must!  They can be kind of sterile OR you can really bling them up.  We actually bought a roll of wrapping paper in her color scheme, cut each piece to size and used clear contact paper to attach on the inside of each drawer of the bin.  We then finished the bin off with some washi tape.  Looks good and provides some privacy as to what is on the inside.
 
 
We also took a bulletin board and covered it in fabric to match.  Once you buy the material, wrap the board and just use a staple gun to attach.  We will be hanging it from the end of her lofted bunk bed.  It is a great place for her to stick reminders and have lots of pictures of friends and family.
 
 
 
My mom was a wonderful sewer.  However, I did not get her gene for that at all!  So this project was right up my alley.  All you need is a pillow form (we recovered existing ones we had) and fabric.  For complete directions, follow the above link and you will have a pillow in minutes.  Wrapping and tying.  It is really that easy and you make a fabulous looking custom pillow in fabric that matches the room.  Totally couture!
 
She is so excited about heading off to college and starting a new chapter in her life.  All the stuff we created will really make her home away from home just perfect.  Making things together was also an awesome way to spend time together before she flies the coop!
 
Take time to celebrate the little things that make life sweet...because time really does fly!
 
Until next time,
 
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment