Saturday, January 3, 2015

Baked Mini Lemon Blueberry Donuts

Yum
Guess what I got for Christmas?
My favorite things to get!!!
Lots of kitchen items like new cookie sheets, a Silpat and a spiral veggie gadget!  I am so excited!  I know some women HATE getting things for the kitchen and would rather jewelry, but I LUV stuff for my kitchen!  I know, I'm weird!  As much as I love those new cookie sheets, I am most pumped for the donut pans I received.  Oh, my family went BIG!  There is a mini donut pan and a regular sized donut pan. Those of you that know me may think I am being snarky ( I guess I have a slightly sarcastic side), but I am totally stoked!  NO SNARKINESS AT ALL!   I am actually shivering right now with excitement...ok, not quite, but I am really thrilled.

I barely got the wrapping paper off before I began having daydreams about donuts because I adore those fried dough treats!  We rarely purchase donuts...not good for the waistline.  So having a pan where I could make donuts ANYTIME, as well as bake them, made my donut daydreams a reality!  It's all about those little pleasures right?  Well, let's get to it!  I started off with the mini donut pan with....drum roll please....


Baked Mini Lemon Blueberry Donuts
Oh yea!
They are baked!  They are light!  They are bursting with blueberries!  Dang...they are good!


Lightly dusted in a lemon sugar, you are going to need a couple AND you will never want store bought donuts again!  Guess what?  They are made with whole wheat flour and yogurt so they aren't a calorie buster!  Baked Mini Lemon Blueberry Donuts are easy to make.  You can make them in a muffin pan, but come on...you know the donut pan is waaaay cuter.  :)  (Save your Michael's coupon and get one 40% off.  You won't be sorry and I'm thinking there will be more donut recipes on the blog, now that I have my very own pan....thank you Santa!  So a donut pan really is a need...just sayin')

adapted from Chef Meg at Spark Recipes
Ingredients to make 2 dozen mini donuts:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
5.3 oz plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup skim milk
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp lemon zest
1 1/2 cups blueberries
Sugared topping (1 Tbsp lemon zest, 1/2 cup granulated sugar)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.   With nonstick cooking spray, lightly spray a mini donut pan.  In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In a small bowl, whisk the egg.  Add the yogurt, milk, vegetable oil, lemon juice and lemon zest.  Whisk until well combined.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.  Once combined, fold in the blueberries.  Spoon 1-2 Tbsp of batter into each donut cup.  Spread to fill each donut cup about 1/2 way.  Place into a 350 degree oven and bake 10-12 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Let sit in donut pan for 1-2 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.  While cooling, mix together the lemon zest and sugar.  Take each slightly warm donut and dust with the lemon sugar.


Light, airy and jam packed with blueberries!


See how little they are?  Little donuts + little calories = little waistline.
Now that is an awesome equation!

I'm loving this new direction for the blog.  The best things do come in little packages!

Be sure to sign up for A Sprinkle of This and That email subscription to receive recipe ideas in your inbox each day!  Pssst...it's over on the right.  You don't want to miss a thing!  Make sure to share on your social media...I love making new friends!  Any friend of yours is a friend of mine!

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet,
Christine


You may also like:
Chocolate Raspberry Coconut Bread Pudding

Apple Cider Duffins

Blueberry Coffee Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment