Saturday, July 5, 2014

Fieldtip to Eataly - the Savory Side

Yum
There is a time of the year that I often wonder why I live in the Chicago area.  The endless rounds of snow, below zero temperatures, brown landscape and cloudy days can really make me question things...yes, even 21 years later.  But then there are the other three seasons which, I'll be honest, just make my heart sing!  And summer in the big city is one of them!



I love the hustle and bustle, the architecture, access to all the museums, restaurants and ALL that Chicago has to offer. That's why I "suffer" through those never seeming to end winters!

And now...
A Whole Other Reason to Love living in the Chicago area!!!

EATALY!
If you haven't heard, Eataly is a store within stores.  Oscar Farinetti is the founder and creator.  His humble beginnings began in Italy with a small appliance and food retail store he owned.  Eventually, Farinetti focused solely on the food retail store which became today's Eataly in Turin, Italy.  Mario Batali, Joe Bastianich and Lidia Matticchio Bastianich joined the team and now there are Eataly locations in Europe as well as New York and Chicago.  I finally made it down to explore all that Eataly has to offer.  It did not disappoint!

The store is spread out among two levels.  The first level offers a Lavazza station and many other sweet treat stops.  I'll talk about those another time...they deserve a whole post!


Heading on up to the second level and it's like you are in an outdoor Italian market.

Olive oils...balsamic vinegars...oh, where to start?



The cheeses...heavenly choices...

You'll need lots of mula for that wheel of cheese!


 Kraft beers and wines abound!


Meats, sauces, fresh pastas and so much more.  You are surrounded in all things Italian.  Was I in Chicago?  Or, was I in Italy?  There are many restaurants scattered amongst the aisles of food.  Some specialize in fish, wine and cheese, vegetables, fresh pasta and brick oven pizza.  The food there is incredibly delicious and fresh.  And the staff is very knowlegable.


    

                   



The pizzas were too die for and the pastas...the pasta literally melted in your mouth.  Fresh pasta is the best!

I would so go back here!  Lots more food to have to try!
If you are ever in Chicago, put this on your list as a destination.  We went on a weekday so it wasn't crowded.  I have heard that weekends are packed.  You will definetely want to check this place out.
Watch for another post on all things sweet at Eataly...oh me, oh my, that'll be a'more!

Celebrate the little things that make life sweet,

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment